Saturday, June 11, 2005

What exactly do people without cable do?

So yes, I like to be smug and talk about the decline of modern television and how it's all crap, with a few notable exceptions. But let's face it--the idiot box is just about always on. I'm not even watching it half the time. I just like the noise. It serves as a nice, steady connection with the outside world. And there's always The Daily Show and reruns of The West Wing, plus the fact that TNT shows The Breakfast Club just about every weekend. So the last few weeks have not been good. My cable is broken. Some vital piece of fiber-optic technology has become defective, and thus been shipped off to the manufacturer for repair. No one seems to know when it will be back on. I held out hope while I was away in Texas that maybe I'd return to the bliss of sixty-five channels, but alas, it was not to be. Ordinarily I'd escape, go out and shop or read at Borders or hang out with my friends, but I'm sick with this disgusting cough, my second case of bronchitis in the last six months, and I feel too shitty to go anywhere. This sucks! I tried to be optimistic by using the experience as an excuse to catch up on my video-watching, but after five hours of Six Feet Under, along with a few shots of cough medicine, I'm starting to feel way too morose. I long for a few hours of good channel surfing. I'm not ashamed of my dependence on my TV! I grew up in the generation of Family Ties and The Cosby Show, for crying out loud! I need the stuff like I need AIR!

Enough. I haven't posted in two weeks, and there's plenty more interesting to talk about than my lack of media sustenance. So for those of you who've been holding your breath...yes, The Boy did show up on my doorstep as promised. Contrary to all of my disbelief and pessimism. He does, indeed, seem to be pretty different compared with the the person I said goodbye to last summer. And he seems intent on starting over, or making things right, or something like that. I want to believe that it's possible, and at the same time I know how jaded I am after all the games and bullshit. So all I can do is hang out and see what happens, take it as it comes, and try not to worry so much about it. I got some answers, and I think they were the ones I was hoping for. That's a start.

Blah...love, I tell you, what a mess. With all of the walls we put up, and the lies we tell, and games we play, it's amazing that two people are ever able to plow through all of that and really, truly love each other. I give props to all of the people in my life who've managed to find each other and are making it work every day--including the vixen, Alicia, my sister, and Mama Peacegrrl--she and Ed tied the knot on June first. You guys inspire me to believe that it's okay to open up, and to put away the cynicism and actually trust another person with my heart. And mom most of all, who constantly reminds me in word and deed that amazing things happen to those who are patient and believe that miracles actually happen.

That's enough sap for a Saturday night, don't you think? I'll be back in a few days, with some more recaps and an update on the Scarves for ALS project (somebody HELP, we need a better NAME!) In the meantime, everybody cross your fingers that the cable gods decide to smile upon me...
Peace out!

2 comments:

Mike Hitchen said...

From what I have read, you have a far from ordinary mind. Nice and refreshing.

Mike

Charles said...

I decided once to save from $53 a month to $18 a month by cutting down to basic cable.. 23 channels. I never watched anything but the news anyway. After I did so, it drove me crazy that I could not go beyond channel 23. Maybe, like you, I like diversified background noise. :)