Thursday, May 12, 2005

Waiting

Okay, I'm getting a little impatient.

I'm waiting for the eye doctor to call and say my new glasses are ready. Waiting for my "Strike Out ALS" bracelets to get here in the mail. Waiting for residents to leave. Waiting for my knee to stop throbbing. Waiting for the police to give me information about my accident's status. Waiting for my internet connection to get set up, for May 28 to get here so I can head to Texas for a much-needed break, waiting for my grades, for a chance to get a good night's sleep, for it to be 5pm. Waiting seems to have become the new common theme in my life.

And it makes me wonder, is that what life really is? Just a bunch of waiting?

That's too profound for right now. Suffice to say that I'm a bit overwhelmed at present. It's probably more a result of lack of sleep than anything else. The last week of the semester has always been a tough one, but this one really seems to be kicking my ass. With all of the work in my buildings, I nearly forgot to do my finals. With all of the work on the finals, I barely remembered to make it to the lineup of judicial hearings I have to appear at this week. With all of THAT, I'm trying to keep the energy up to spend as much time with my friends as possible before everything changes. J-dawg will be gone on Saturday, and KN is taking off in less that two weeks--time is running out.

And then there's my mom, down in Houston while Ed gets a feeding tube put in. One of the beautiful things about ALS--it steals your abilty to swallow. Can you imagine? I'd never make it, as much as I love to eat! We keep making jokes about it, about slipping some pureed brussel sprouts in there when he's not looking, but it's our way of laughing about something that, if we really think about it, is scary as hell.

A year ago today I was up in Ohio interviewing for this job. I can't believe all of the things that have changed since then. And no matter what, I'm never sorry that I moved up here--even though I feel guilty for not sharing the family burdens; even though I miss my friends. This is where I'm supposed to be right now, and I'm glad for it. But at this very moment, I'm hungry, I need a nap, and my contact lenses are bugging me. Where the hell are my new glasses!?

No comments: