Friday, July 01, 2005

Not much to say

So haven't posted in a while, for the simple reason that I'm too pissy for the blog these days. I mean, I know negativity is sort of my trademark, but there comes a point where even I get tired of my own complaining. Plus, really, things aren't that bad, I'm just bored. And kinda bummed because numerous attempts to get together for a visit with The Boy have been failures, and I feel like we're at something of a stalemate. There's really not much to be done, other than just wait and see how it plays out, and we all know how lousy I am at waiting...

Well, the monotony will be broken up a bit next weekend, since I'm heading to Virginia to spend "quality time" with my father and stepmother. Our visits are always an exercise in caution and restraint. Since our relationship is pretty fragile (see this post for a recap), we spend most of the time jetting around sightseeing, and he spoils me something awful. Overall it's not too bad. It only gets wierd when we're eating dinner and he insists on watching Fox News and trying to bait me. Or when we're taking a long drive and he starts rambling on about affirmative action and Southern pride. Then I end up biting my tongue so hard that it bleeds, trying to keep my comments to myself and preserve the thin ties that bind us. At least it's not an election year...the last visit was especially painful. But every year I get a little more mature and better able to pick my battles. This time we're driving up to Baltimore and visiting my grandmother, and I'll get to watch the two of them snip at each other for a few days. There's nothing more uncomfortable than watching two family members you don't know very well argue about where to go for lunch. These heated debates can last all afternoon, so this time I'll be prepared with a Zone bar in my purse in case we don't end up eating until four.

This post is pretty weak, I know it. I seem to be fresh out of witty comments, and even my usually amusing "personal life" is mired in uninteresting details. Forgive me, I promise I'll try to be more interesting next time!
-pg

No comments: