Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Something new to babble about!

So it's time to stop talking about The Boy! I know it, you know it, we all know it. There is so much more to life, and looking back on my entries I can see how one-dimensional I seem to be. So now for something completely different...

Okay, the reality is that my life is rather lame and lonely just at the moment. I live in a dinky little town, so my time is spent between Austin and San Antonio visiting friends. And all and all, I think their lives are a lot more interesting than mine. There's Alicia, who lives in San Antonio and has a fantastic guy in her life. She's kind of the "voice of reason" in my life--where I'm scatterbrained and overemotional, she is mature and logical. I used to work with her, and she was a great mentor--I probably owe any professional growth I've managed to achieve in the past three years to her calming influence. Then there's Jenny, who lives just outside of San Antonio with two male roommates. I love hearing stories of the latest news in the house, what the boys are up to lately, from J.'s older-sister perspective. And there's my boy K-dog, who lives up in Austin. We discuss politics and I listen to him puzzle out his girlfriend issues, while he listens to my insecurities and yells at me.

And there are lots of other buddies spread all over the place, Lisa and Sarah from college, James from high school, Kristina over in San Marcos. I have this terrific support network, and it's ridiculous how rarely I reach out to them. When I have a problem, I totally withdraw into myself and refuse to contact the people who would help if I'd just ask for it. What is it about our twenties that makes us feel so isolated? Is it because we're done with college and we're not running into each other in class every day? Are we just too damned tired after our forty-hour workweeks and the stress of figuring out the next career move? How can we be too tired to have friends? It's completely ridiculous. I'm more than likely going to be leaving the state in a month, and I'm suddenly spending all of this time with the people close to me. Why did it take an impending move for me to reach out?

These are all questions that nobody has the answers to, and this post really has no point. I suppose the bottom line is that I'm blessed and I'm quick to forget it. If I'm isolated, it's because I choose to be. The people are there--I just have to make the effort to support them as much as they support me.
-pg

No comments: