Thursday, June 10, 2004

Blah

I haven't posted in a few weeks, mainly because I was convinced I didn't have anything interesting to say. But nobody's reading this thing anyway, so why should I self-edit?

The truth is that I'm in an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" phase. Instead of steadily getting over The Boy, I'm missing him more every day. It really is pathetic. The number of cigarettes I smoke every day is directly proportional to how lousy I'm feeling about the demise of our quasi-relationship, and I'm sorry to say that the number continues to creep up. I hate being this way, really, I do. I'm sad and grumpy and generally feeling sorry for myself.

People have different theories on how to cope with this sort of ordeal. Some say that rebound sex is the way to go. But there's no one around here for that, and besides, I don't really know if it's my thing. I've sent some not-too-subtle signals to a friend of a friend, and we'll see if anything comes of it, but I'm not optimistic. Besides, I have no doubt that it would be disappointing even if it did happen.

Another theory is that you should throw yourself into work. Work, it is assumed, will make you forget all about the tragedies of your personal life. Unfortunately, I work in college student affairs, and it's summer. There aren't any student affairs in summer. So work is boring, non-challenging, and sadly not anything to throw myself into at the moment.

I've been down this road before, and I guess my coping strategy is to just take it a day at a time. I'm moving soon, and I know that the adjustment of a new home, new responsibilities, and an entirely new social circle will probably distract me enough that I won't be sulking all the time. I can't wait to get the hell out of here. In the meantime, the limbo continues. The Boy will fade away into the recesses of my mind once enough time has gone by. I just wish there was a way to hurry the process up a little.
-Peacegrrl

No comments: