Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Where the hell have I been?

Working. Really. Believe it! That's right, one of the many idiosyncrasies of a job in student affairs is that one day you're playing Word Womp and chowing down on Doritos because there's not a damn thing to do, and the next you're happy to have time for a shower and fifteen minutes of sleep before the next crisis. I feel like it's been ages since I've had time for my beloved blog. I haven't had a chance to watch the news, so besides the imminent doom of Hurricane Ivan, there aren't any current events for me to comment on/bitch about. Oh wait, I take that back, the assault weapons ban ended yesterday. Way to go, NRA. That might help to take some of the wind out of Bush's post-convention bounce. Speaking of which, my new institution's newspaper had a whiney cover story all about how two of its reporters got arrested at the convention because they refused to disperse when ordered. I have to say, many of the students at this place seem bound and determined to live up to its history. They'll protest just about anything, and most of them don't even seem to know what the protesting is even about. It's like those UT kids who say they're liberals but don't actually know anything about the issues they're so eager to embrace. To all the boys and girls out there reading this: Don't jump on a bandwagon because it will make you sound smart or because a rock star says you should. Educate yourself and then make up your own mind, based on your own convictions. I'd rather fight with a diehard conservative who knows what he's talking about than have some wannabee who just found out who's running for president take up my cause.

So has everybody heard Michael Moore's latest? He's not putting in F 9/11 for a Best Documentary Oscar, insisting that the reason is so he can pursue a last-ditch effort to get it on TV before the election. A lot of people are convinced it's so he can stack the odds in his favor for the Best Picture prize. And although I think it's an important film, and everybody should see it, as a true movie fanatic I have to say that I'll be pretty pissed off at The Academy if F 9/11 wins. It's not what the Oscars are all about. It's a documentary, not a movie. There aren't any actors or set designers. It captures the realities of current times, but I don't think it's the kind of thing that's going to endure, other than to serve as a time capsule for the G-Dubya Snafu-o-Rama. Let's face it--we aren't going to see it on Turner Classic Movies in fifty years. I'll be irritated if it even gets nominated. Mike, I'm not too sure what you're thinking. I've stood by you, so don't do me (and all of the other movie purists out there) wrong!

Today is a day from hell--meetings right up to 11pm, so I'm cutting this rant short. Thanks to my girlfriends for their winter weather advice. We'll see how long I last up here...
-pg

No comments: