Sunday, August 28, 2005

Too old.

Last night I consumed a few too many alcoholic beverages. Seeing as my body was already completely exhausted from seven straight 10+ hour workdays, no decent or nutritionally sound meals in over a week, and sleep deprivation due to the non-stop arrival of first-year students, I'm thinking it was a bad idea. Today I feel disoriented, used-up, and ancient. And since I turn into an even worse bigmouth when I've been drinking, stupid things were indeed said. I'm too old to do this crap anymore. I remember being able to party five nights a week and still make it to class, and I think, who the hell was that person? It's time to be a grownup.

I'm pissy today because I feel like the fragile web of friendship that I'm a part of has been threatened. I've never been all that good with change--I'm better at it than most people, but that's not saying much. And changes in relationships are much harder for me to handle than, say, changes in location, or stuff at work. I can bear all of that as long as I feel secure in my network of friends. So when I feel the tides start turning and there's even the slightest hint that something might fray out the delicate threads that bind me to the people I care about, I freak out and make a big deal out of nothing. When am I going to learn that life is just a series of shifting relationships?

Grrr, too much seriousness! Today's a good day--the sun is shining and everything's cool. There's no reason to let a hangover ruin the waning hours of my weekend! I'm off to search for happy thoughts.
-pg

No comments: