Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Damn you, chocolatey goodness!

So I just ate a king-size Three Musketeers bar. It's divided into two little bars, so that ideally you will eat one and save the other for later. As if. Three Musketeers is not a choice candy bar, it's the one I get because it's supposedly "big on chocolate, not on fat." But that fluffy crap in the middle is SO not chocolate. All you're really getting is the outside shell, and of course the miniscule amount of real chocolate in that little half-bar isn't enough. The point is that now, having consumed the whole thing, I have both a sugar high and a mild stomach ache. Blah.

What else can I complain about? Well, I'm missing South by Southwest, a big film/music festival down in Austin this week. Who's going to be there? Oh, nobody big. Just a whole crapload of famous people and under-appreciated indie bands...and NEIL YOUNG. Piss. But it's ok--Death Cab for Cutie and Franz Ferdinand will be in Austin on March 29th. Definite possibilty for when I'm down in TX for spring break...provided islegavia is up for it. Speaking of whom, islegavia's
window is famous! Immortalized forever on urbanohio.com! Who knew.

This week I am uncharacteristically happy because I'm off to Indy for a conference this weekend. Having never explored the great midwestern cities, this is kind of exciting. Actually, I'm more excited about escaping from the sea of drunken undergrads just in time for St. Patrick's Day. Several of my favorite people are job searching this weekend. I wish them luck, but it's a major downer because I don't want them to leave. There are many "worst things" about working in higher ed, but I think one of them is the fact that there are no constants. Your student population obviously changes, but so do your coworkers. Most folks don't stick around for longer than 3-5 years. For me, so dependant on my surrogate family of colleagues, this is a major drag. And yet another factor in my ongoing inner debate about whether or not to stay out in the world or go back to TX and be with my family.

Alrighty, an hour and a half left in the office and I need to have something to show for it, so I'm out. Safe St. Patrick's Day to all...
-pg

No comments: