Friday, January 14, 2005

A bit better

So first off, a shout-out to my homies Nick and Vixen, for the happy thoughts. I'm feeling a bit better today. First off, I discovered this amazing thing called a Liberal Studies master's degree, in which I can basically take whatever classes I want, figure out a way to tie them together, and voila! Degree! And the program advisor says that my hodgepodge of English, counseling, and student affairs classes can all transfer in. Good times. I'm thinking of doing something about minorities/underpriveledged students and access to higher ed. Or something. I don't know. The sooner I get a master's, the sooner a few more doors will be opened to me--whether I stick it out in student affairs or go off to do something else. Still haven't ruled out teaching. And let's not forget that the degree will be FREE...tuition waiver, how I love you.

And let me just say, once I get that degree, unless I meet Mr. Wonderful and he's insistent that we live in the upper midwest, I'm getting my ass farther south. This weather is fucking ridiculous. Today it was 65 degrees when I got home from work. Now it's 25 and snowing. What the hell is that about? Yeah, the south is the home of humidity and slavery, and yes, it's a place where people take actual pride in their ignorance (why else would they hang up the confederate flag and actual write songs to express pride in their redneck-ness?). And it does get up to a zillion degrees in the summer, and most of the people down there think Bush is an American hero. But there's always Austin, home of good music, radical politics, and liberal hippie-wannabee UT students. And air-conditioning. And none of this freezing rain/snow/sleet/misery bullshit.

Okay, it wouldn't be peacegrrl without a little man gossip. No, I didn't get any bootie over the break. This is highly disappointing. However, I did hear from Blind Date guy several times and he called as soon as I got back into town. Perhaps this will progress and the dry spell will end. At the very least, he lets me borrow a lot of DVDs, so the relationship certainly does have merit. I'll keep you posted.

Alrighty, it's late, I'm in my office, and my building is supposed to be empty but I'm hearing strange noises and they're scaring me. I'm going to go lock myself in my apartment now.
-peacegrrl

No comments: