Saturday, December 31, 2005

The last post of 2005

Alrighty, time for a 2005 recap.

Major surgeries: 1
Cars hit by: 1
Relatives lost: 1
Beloved family pets lost: 1
Doomed relationships: 1
Infatuations: 3
Drunk-dialing fiascos: 2
Smoking relapses: 1
Sisters sucked into abusive relationships: 1
Pounds gained: 15

OK, so it wasn't exactly the best year. But a few good things did happen--I got into yet another grad school, met some great people, visited 7 states, started a learning community, maintained awesome friendships, and I'm around to see another year. Things could always be worse. And as I've mentioned, I have extremely high hopes for '06. I might even break my "no New Year's resolutions" resolution and set some goals. I'd like to drop a few pounds, obviously, and give more to charity, and muck out the guestroom, to start. Maybe even pay off a credit card or two.

I've often wondered why people get so excited about New Year's Eve--it's really just another day, and another excuse to get drunk. They've never really offered much appeal for me (well, except for 1999, when the threat of major Y2K technological anarchy spiced things up a bit). But coming out of one of the hardest years of my life, I'm extremely jazzed to see this one come to a close.

I'm in the waning days of my visit to Peacegrrl Manor in Texas, and I think I'm reaching critical mass where my family is concerned, but overall it's been a pretty relaxing couple of weeks. No pagers, voicemails, radios, duty logs, or incident reports. I haven't had a decent night's sleep due to a strange holiday brand of insomnia that even Unisom won't shake, but I'm good. I even squeezed in a visit with Alicia and two days with Vixen, featuring a trip to the beach. I get back to Ohio on Wednesday, and I think by then I will have had my fill of family drama, dog messes, and The Nagging Aunt. Speaking of whom, she just walked in the door, which means it's dinnertime. So I'm out...happy new year to all, and don't party too hard! See you in 2006.

No comments: