Thursday, December 15, 2005

A happy end to a long semester

I have been awful about keeping this blog updated for the past few months. And I'll tell you why. This semester has been hell. There's no other way to put it. And I hate the idea of putting more depression and sadness out into the world through this blog, so I try not to post unless I have something at least moderately happy or profound to say. Unfortunately, there just hasn't been much good news. Not to mention that my job has sucked up every bit of life that I have left in me after dealing with all of the personal stuff that has wreaked havoc on my nerves since the summer ended.

But I'm updating now, because I miss taking the time to do this, and because people have been riding my ass about it. And because there's a light at the end of the tunnel: the halls close tomorrow. I'm finished with classes for the semester. A four-week vacation looms ahead with the promise of lots of laziness, pathetic American consumerism, and traditional holiday overeating. I can't really say that I'm in the Christmas spirit, but knowing that one of the suckiest years of my life is just about over really does start to bring out a little holiday joy.

I really think 2006 has to be better. We'll have midterm elections in November, during which MAYBE the American people will finally get their asses to the polls and boot out some of the morons in Congress. I'll finally get my master's in August, and hopefully a little raise along with it. And of course there's always the possibilty that love is in store for the Peacegrrl. Maybe that new guy I'm still absolutely GONE over will finally get a clue. Hope springs eternal.

Anyway, now for a few updates. To start, Casey (formerly known as The Guy) came to see me last weekend, which was seriously cool. Not only did I get a replenishment for my good music supply, I also got to spend quality time with one of the nicest guys I know. I honestly felt like even though we hadn't seen each other since last July, we connected like no time had passed. Casey is smart, honest, funny, and a gentleman, which is hard to find these days. And I think he sort of gets me, which is SUPER rare. He's a catch, and I told him so. I will always wonder if the two of us would have any kind of a future if we actually lived in the same zip code and he was as anxious to settle down as I am. Hmm.

Now for a downer. I'm in the middle of an awkward stalemate with one of my good friends, and it's really starting to eat me up. I need to step up and talk it out with him, or I'm going to end up losing him, which I don't want to do. I don't know why I let it get this far out of whack, but it ends tomorrow. I'm going to suck it up, own up to the stupid things I've done and hope that maybe he'll own up to a few himself, and even if he doesn't, we're going to get over it. We have to, because life is too short to piss away friendships over dumb shit.

Whew. I feel a little better just having said that. My friends are one of the only things that have helped me get through these times. I guess one of the things I really want to make sure I do during this season is let them know what they mean to me, and how lost I'd be without them. Just knowing that my buddies here, in Texas, and scattered elsewhere around the planet are thinking of me half as often as I think of them is pretty comforting.

And now it's time for bed. In closing I want to tell everybody to think happy thoughts for my friend Alicia, who's interviewing like crazy for a new job in the wake of a shitty deal from her old one. Hang in there, girlfriend. I've got your back. :-)
-pg

No comments: