Friday, October 15, 2004

How do you deal?

Is it PMS, or just depression? Hard to tell. Today is the 15th, but it may as well be Friday the 13th for all the hell I've been catching at work. First off, in the midst of dealing with a 2-week long crisis with a student, I let a few other seemingly less-important issues slide...which doesn't appear to have gone over well with The Boss. She said not to worry about it. And I don't think I should. After all, the crisis in question was pretty damn big--so big I don't dare blog about it in detail, so if you want to know what happened, you'll just have to call me and ask. But I still feel like a big fuck-up. It's so hard to keep up with the crap that happens in these two buildings. If I had a master's degree, I'd be paid as an RHD II, and I'd have an assistant hall director. But instead I'm paid as an RHD I, but put in an RHD II area--because supposedly I have the chops for it, according to The Boss. But do I? Can I really handle the stuff that's been coming down over the past few weeks? Three years at a rich-kid school seems like it would toughen you up. But it hasn't. My kids have psychological problems the likes of which I've never seen, parents who contact me more than they do (literally, today is the first workday in over 2 weeks during which I haven't either met with or talked on the phone with somebody's mom), and a fairly vicious criminal bent. Is it the new generation? Or am I just a big wuss?

And it's that fabulous time of the month--the new moon, and PMS. So I feel even MORE incompetant, unnattractive, and fragile than normal. It's a Friday night, it's freezing outside, gray, and raining, and every one of my friends has dinner plans--and none of them include me. Hello homesickness. How do people deal when they feel this way? Some of us hit the bottle, some hit the kitchen, and I have a friend who was so stressed out yesterday that he went out and bought 5 sweaters. I guess my strategy is simple: go home, put on the grubbies, order a pizza, and pop in a depressing DVD. A good cry will probably do the trick and get me out of my funkiness. I have every reason to be happy and feel good, and I know that this week has been unusually tough. Better times to come. (And if you're alarmed at the number of times this blog seems to make reference to how bummed out I am, don't freak--I tend to write when I'm feeling like crap, as opposed to when I'm in decent spirits...peacegrrl isn't in the throes of misery or anything.)

-a very pissy peacegrrl

1 comment:

Nick said...

5 sweaters? I dont want to be blunt, but your friend might be... ah, nevermind. Hey, I usually just beat my dog when things are down. Of course, you could always substitute some rich snob, and probably feel even better :)