Tuesday, October 05, 2004

I am woman, hear me roar...

So did you know that if Roe V. Wade is reversed, a not-so-unlikely proposition if Bushie gets four more years and picks up another anti-abortion Supreme Court justice, thirty US states have mechanisms in place that would ban abortion within the year? Yup-- it's true. Scary thought. And one more reason to get off the couch and vote next month. We all have different views about abortion--some think it's an abomonation, others use it as a form of birth control. But I think the bottom line, and the reality, is that the way you deal with it is between you and God. And criminalizing abortion and sending it to the back alleys will lead to coat-hanger surgery and dead women. Call me crazy, but that doesn't seem so "pro-life" to me.

So in defiance to this chilling idea, and in celebration of all things womanly, here are my favorite neo-feminist sites I've stumbled on to as of late:
1. Bust magazine. Absolutely fantastic. Anybody want to buy me a subscription? The "boobtique" is loaded with good grrl stuff, and the "girl wide web" is a portal made just for us--tons of groovy links. And send all your girlfriends a free BUSTcard.
2. Chubby Girl Brigade. I can't help but fall instantly in love with a blog whose slogan is "you can have a tummy and still be yummy."
3. Good Vibes. I've been a devotee of this site ever since it was featured on the Sunday Night Sex Show. It's a fantastic zine full of sex from the woman's perspective. And the antique vibrator museum is pretty funny, too.
4. Knitty. Pick up some needles and join the stitch-and-bitch revolution--you'll be glad you did. Knitting is supposedly the new "zen" activity for the under-35 crowd. Not sure about all that. But it's not just for little old ladies anymore. Knitty is loaded with hip, modern patterns, knitting advice, etc. If you're not crafty, send Grandma the link and get her to whip together a "Banshee" guitar strap. Rock on.
5. Jennifer Weiner. If you haven't read Good In Bed yet, what the heck are you waiting for? Weiner is one of the best authors to hit pop fiction in forever. She's above the whole "chick-lit" genre--a little too smart and biting for it. And her thick-chick wit rocks my world.

Well, that's all for today--my workday has ended and I'm getting a cold, so feel sorry for me. More later!
-pg

No comments: