Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The late November blues

So here we are, at that akward little crevice between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when everyone's shopping like crazy and doing their best to get into the "holiday spirit." I got a few days away from the Ohio blizzard and hung out in the Houston smog, where it was 80 degrees on Thanksgiving, which I think is just plain wierd. Thanksgiving was ok. Lots of turkey and stuffing and family drama, but we survived the first major holiday without Ed without any major mishap. We were aided in great part by the new family pet. Tequila is the craziest looking, cutest dog I've ever seen. She really does have a mohawk, too! She's part Rhodesian Ridgeback. Spirits were so high that we even dragged ourselves out of bed at 4am on Black Friday to go shopping. It was worth it to wander around in Gardenridge Pottery while it was nearly empty, but by the time we got to Kohl's the crowds had arrived and were turning a bit hostile. I think I'll go ahead and avoid that experience in the future.
The really good news is that it's cookie-baking time. I'm getting started this weekend, and the plan, provided that I get enough baking done and actually manage to keep my apartment clean for the next two weeks, is to invite everybody over on the 10th for a cookie party. For some people the holidays are all about tinsle and wreaths, but I'm more into gathering my friends around so we can overdose on sugar and complain about work. I'm really hoping that the smell of warm oatmeal scotchies will help get me a little more into the celebrating mood, because right now things just aren't so hot. I'm exhausted all the time (but I can never sleep), I feel like I'm lagging behind in just about everything, and my self-esteem is really in the dumps. I'm just not keeping it together these days. I'm so damn down that I don't even feel like obsessing about men. I realize that I'm in no way qualified to be a part of a relationship at the present time. I need to get my own act together before I start worrying about anybody else's.
And with that, I'd better roll. One more meeting to go. Leave me some happy thoughts--I miss comments!
-pg

1 comment:

Nick said...

I don't mind the holiday spirit, but I could do without the holiday weather. I would be loving life in 80 degrees....

I'll be over for some cookies, just have some good beer on hand...