Thursday, February 23, 2006

Thursday musings

I don't really have anything new or interesting to say, but I'm sick of that super-depressing post from last Friday being the first thing on the page. So here I am. Thursday afternoons are my favorite--I'm done with class for the week, only in the office until five, and the weekend is finally within striking distance. Yesterday was such a horrible day that I went ahead and took care of all of the week's unpleasant work (phone calls to nasty parents, pissed-off residents, etc) in between crises, so that today I have little to do but take care of some paperwork and play around on Myspace. What I really want to do is go home and read. I started Darcy and Elizabeth, a super-nerdy Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice sequel. I love it, but I'm thinking as I read, is this the female equivelant to playing Dungeons and Dragons? All this going on and on about a book that was written like 200 years ago? Did you know that there are dozens of sequels to P&P out there? Not to mention all of the remakes and movies. Why do we get so darned excited when Darcy, who has been a real dip shit through most of the book, finally wins Elizabeth over? And how geeky is it that these are the things I spend my time wondering about?

I'm emotionally drained. I'm not sure if it's my ever-stressful job, all the excitement of my sister's pregnancy (which I'll admit makes me a little wistful, since I can't even get a date, and there she is having babies), this disaster of a crush situation, or what. Yesterday my boss paid me a big complement. Apparently I got off on one of my many tangents at a meeting earlier this week, and he said that the passion that I exhibit about what I do shows that I have a lot of potential. I feel good that he sees potential in me, but my big question to him was, what do I do if I feel like I'm all passion and no action? Just a bundle of emotions and reactions, and maybe excessive complaints, without a whole lot to show for it. I don't know where to put all of my energy, and half the time I feel like I don't have any. I think all of this just means I need a SERIOUS vacation. Does anybody want to go to Cancun? Or on a cruise? Or anywhere that's warm and has good drinks?

Isn't it 5 yet?
-pg

No comments: