Thursday, November 18, 2004

I wish I could be deep

Really, I do. I blog about whatever nonsense happens to be in my head at the moment. Then I read these other live journals where people are all profound and what not, with their poetry and their flowery descriptions of everyday life. I'm one of those creative writing people, too, but every time I try to get wordy and obscure, I think my stuff sounds stupid. Oh well.

Today is the day of the Great American Smokeout, and guess what? I'd really like a cigarette. Really, I'm doing fine since I quit for the fourth time--I think i'm at 9 weeks or something. I don't even think about it, until someone REMINDS me, and of course the American Lung Association or whoever is doing an excellent job of that today. Damn. At least we're about to put all these smoking restrictions on the campus buildings, where you can only smoke at one exit. It's a good reason not to start again, since our "smoking door" is as far as possible from my apartment. Not that the whole money and health thing isn't a good deterrant, too. It's just that old-fashioned laziness is the best aversion therapy I can think of!

New subject. Why are my residents so bad? Why do I have over sixty write-ups in the last two months? Granted, once they meet with me they rarely get into trouble again, but why are they getting into so much damn trouble in the first place? And when did I, the rebel, the pain in the ass, the one who has always questioned and defied authority (often to my detriment), become "the man"? I'm the bad guy! I'm the one who sits across the desk, frowning and asking for explanations and handing out sanctions. I'm the "complaintant" at the judicial hearing. Holy hell. What's happened? I don't want to be a responsible authority figure. I want to go back to my happy days as a screw-up. I'm getting old, I'm losing my tolerance for stupidity, and I find myself sounding more and more like my mother. Bleh. Adulthood blows.

Let's talk about a few happy things, like the fact that tonight is Apprentice night, and last night's Jack and Bobby was fabulous, as always. When did I start watching all of this damn TV? Oh, and Modest Mouse on Saturday Night Live last week kicked ass. I'm contemplating my next CD purchase (I don't do the download thing...mainly because I still haven't gotten the internet set up in my apartment. But I like to pretend it's because I care so deeply about the rights of recording artists. Actually, most of the bands I like these days probably need every $12 CD sale they can get, so really I guess I'm doing the right thing. But that's fodder for another post.) Will it be Rufus Wainright? I'd also really like to pick up something by that Nick Drake, he's pretty cool. Or will I go for some earlier Modest Mouse? Or go mainstream and grab the new U2? And then again, my favorite Counting Crows CD was in a tragic accident involving being on my dashboard in the Texas heat. So will I instead re-purchase "This Desert Life"? Decisions, decisions. My mom has always held a general rule that you shouldn't buy yourself anything after the beginning of November, because Christmas is coming. I'm too selfish for all of that. So does anybody have any suggestions? New bands I should investigate? Or does anybody just want to declare their love for Peacegrrl by sending me a CD? Feel free to share...

So I think I've exhausted my random topic quota for the day, so I will close. Happy Thursday to all.
-peacegrrl

No comments: