Monday, February 28, 2005

The Oscars Sucked.

I don't even know where to begin. I'm one of those nerds who still gets excited about the big Hollywood schmooze-fest. I love movies. And I mean it when I say that. I look forward to Fridays because Ebert's new reviews come out. The happiest month of my year is February, when Turner Classic Movies does the 31 Days of Oscar. I've been known to skip a meal so I can buy a movie ticket. I think movie critics have the best job in the world. So the Oscars are a big deal to me. And this year had so much potential...The Aviator, with Leo all grown up and the awesome sets and Cate Blanchett doing Katherine Hepburn...Hotel Rwanda, which seems to be way more socially relevant than The Passion, which the Academy fittingly snubbed...all this buzz about Sideways...and of course Clint's latest work of art. And Chris Rock hosting. How could it go wrong?

But it did, and drastically. The jokes were fairly funny, but nobody seemed to know whether or not to laugh. Sean Penn apparently has no sense of humor. Why oh why did we have to hear Beyonce sing three songs? The duet with Santana and Antonio Banderas lost me after about thirty seconds. And of course I was pissed about the cop-outs for best actor and actress. Of COURSE Jamie Foxx won, there was no way he couldn't have. And I'm not saying anything bad about his performance, but did we really have to hear the "i love my grandma" speech again? And does Hillary Swank really need another oscar? And while I truly, dearly love Clint Eastwood, won't SOMEBODY throw Martin Scorsese a bone? I'm telling you, last week's Apprentice had more suspense. The Academy better watch it, or pretty soon the Oscars will be as out of touch as The Grammys are...

So having said my piece about that, I will apologize for having taken so long to update this thing. It's been a bad two weeks, but that's no reason to ignore the blog. A synopsis of the last ten days or so: I'm getting over bronchitis, I've been dealing with some major politics at work, I had to pretend to be smart and do a presentation for class, and my current strategy of dealing with adversity by consuming massive quantities of chocolate mini-doughnuts seems to be taking its toll on my ass. On the upside, my friends have been fantastic. And yes, drumroll...there is a new man in my life! So far he seems to be passing muster: he's a liberal, he has a good job, the sense of humor is definitely happening, and he seems very amused by me, which I take as a good sign. More details will come as things progress, I promise. For now, wish me luck. After The Boy, The Guy I had to abandon, the one date wonder who never called, and no-eye-contact Blind Date man, don't I have have some goodness on the way? I know my life is a controlled disaster at best, and I should be focused on getting myself in order and finding my identity and all that crap, I am SO ready to be finished with this stupid game and find someone to settle down with! Geez, I'm starting to REEK of desperation.

I'm off now to run a staff meeting and then head home and pray for a snow day tommorrow. If I have to freeze my ass off, drive around in this crap, and risk cracking my head open every time I try to walk across campus in the slush, at the very least don't you think a free day off is in order?
-pg

No comments: