Saturday, July 31, 2004

Live from Ohio!

So much crap has happened in the two weeks since I actually updated this thing that I barely know where to start! It seems forever ago that I was anxious and bored at work and bitching and moaning about needing sex. Although everything seems to work in cycles...in two weeks from now, I could very well be bored at work and bitching and moaning about needing sex yet again. Let's hope that the change of scenery will lead to a change in the mindlessly boring cycles of my life!

So, first off, Guy update. Yeah, so we got together a lot before I left, we had some seriously good times, and now I'm 1500 miles away. Shit. Not that we didn't know this was coming. And I have absolutely no regrets. I may be missing the mark, and he may not agree, but I thought we had a pretty good connection. We had fun together, we laughed, we got drunk, we had good times. I really, really liked this guy. Being a typical, overanalyzing female, I find myself wondering about the purpose of our truncated relationship. Was it a just another fling? Was he a rebound guy, to help me recover from The Boy? Or did I totally find this perfect guy for me and blow my big chance with bad timing? Something was definitely blooming. I suppose I could be pessimistic and say "it's better this way, he would eventually have gotten sick of me, or I would have gotten sick of him, and it would have ended badly." But that's bullshit rationalization. I miss him and I wish he was here. When I left I didn't say anything about trying the long-distance thing, even though part of me really wanted to--we had barely met, after all, and I didn't want to freak him out or be unfair to him. But now I'm here and he's there and I just wish it didn't have to be over. Of course, let's not rule out the possibility that I'm being overdramatic and he just saw me as a temporary diversion (and I certainly wouldn't blame him; I told him once that I was the perfect girl for any guy with committment issues--two weeks and I'm gone!). But if not I guess I just have to believe that if things are supposed to come together for us, they will. I told him that I miss him, and I guess that if he misses me too, that's a start.

And that's enough melodrama for tonight. On to other exciting topics! Leaving TLU, for example. It was a good thing. There was a sort of insincere party thing to send me off, obviously thrown together at the last minute and piggybacked with another staff member who happened to be leaving at the same time. But it was still kind of fun. There was the cool "last night out" thing at Dave and Buster's with all of my best friends, followed by a great night with The Guy. When I left the office for the last time, I sure as hell wasn't sad about it. Something interesting that I discoverd, though, is how easy it was to tell who my real friends were. J, for example, pulled her usual antisocial bullshit and ditched out on my D&B party, which pissed me off royally. And then there's Rita, the office secretary, who didn't even bother to say goodbye to me! What the hell? I was always nice to Rita! Hell, when she took her annual three-week vacation where she leaves us high and dry with no idea of what she's in the middle of, I ALWAYS make it a point to clean her desk and organize her messages before she gets back. Guess I shouldn't have bothered! My overemotional former coworker must have told her something nasty about me. Screw it. Why dwell on the negative? I have more good friends than lousy ones. Like Kendall and Alicia, who helped me pack the evil U-haul late into Friday night, and Kyle who showed up unexpectedly and helped out. And Kristina and Ann, who gave me a kick-ass Austin night out and a terrific going-away gift. And of course Toi, my office buddy. I miss all of these people so damn much that it's crazy! And I hope we keep in touch. I suppose only time will tell.

Well, I have lots of things to say about the state of affairs in the world, the Democratic National Convention, etc., etc., and I'm sure I'll have plenty of humorous observations about the differences between Ohioans and Texans to share, but right now my hands are cold because it's freezing in this fucking office. So stay tuned. In the meantime, go to Obama's website and check out one cool dude who, with any luck, might just be running for president in a decade or two.
-pg